If you would like to download the print and play, please enter your name and email address in the form below. You will immediately be sent the download link via email.
This form is to help me keep in touch with folks who are interested (you can opt-out any time) and also reduce fake bot traffic! Thank you!
Or, you can just download the rules to get a feel for it!
Current Version: 2.0
Many heroic adventures begin with a ragtag group of folks gathering to discuss their plans to help save the land from peril! And many of those meetings took place at the town’s local inn! In Meet at the Inn, you’re the adventurer freshly setting out on your journey… but will you mostly encounter simple beasts and uneventful landscapes, or will you be trapped by a Null Zone, brave the Cavern of the Abyss, or command the power of the Genie?
Meet at the Inn is comprised of 30 unique cards, each with unique Trait combinations and some with unique abilities. The goal of the game is to empty your hand of cards, but that is much easier said than done.
Each turn you will only play 1 card from your hand if it matches a Trait with the top card of the Play Pile. If you cannot, you must draw a card from the Deck. Certain cards can remain in play with global effects, called “Decrees”. Some cards allow you to play out of turn to empty your hand faster, these are “Chain” abilities.
There is also a Discard Pile, which helps get cards out of play, because when the Deck is empty and a player must draw a card, the Play Pile is reshuffled!
Set up and teaching the game takes less than 5 minutes. Playing a game takes roughly 5 minutes per player. But Meet at the Inn really shines when you’ve played it a few times with the same friends because your strategy will adapt to the meta of your opponent.
How to Play
2-4 Players | 5 minutes per player | Ages 12+
Objective: The first player to empty their hand of cards wins.
1. Shuffle all 30 cards.
2. Deal 7 cards to each player, facedown. This will be their personal hand of cards.
3. Whichever player has the Meet at the Inn card goes first. If no one was dealt the Meet at the Inn card, the youngest player goes first.
1. Play 1 card from your hand that matches a Trait with the top card of the Play Pile. If the Play Pile is empty and there are no Traits to match, you may play any card.
If you cannot play a valid card to the Play Pile, you must draw a card from the Deck and your turn ends immediately.
If a player must draw from the Deck and it is empty, set aside the top card of the Play Pile, shuffle the remaining cards facedown to create the new Deck. Place the set aside card back on top of the Play Pile.
If the Deck and Play Pile are empty, that player draws no cards.
2. Play passes to the left.
Card Resolution: When a card is played to the Play Pile or placed in front of you, it must resolve completely before other cards may be played or take effect. All effects resolve in player order. (For example, if you play the Beggar, the player to your left will draw the first card, and so on.)
– Decree: Decree cards are placed face-up on the table in front of you and remain in play. When a Decree is played, discard all other active Decrees on the table. Decrees provide a constant effect for all players, including the player who played it.
– Chain: Chain cards may be played out of turn after another specified card is played. Remember that all cards must resolve fully before other cards are played. This is still true with Chain card effects.
1. If a card’s text conflicts with the rules, the card supersedes the rules.
Meet at the Inn’s concept and first iterations were designed by Sharon Sasson until he teamed up with Vaughn Reynolds back in 2013.
We are releasing this as a print-n-play to get some feedback on it and work out any kinks left.
The entire game consists of only 30 cards! So the print and play only takes 5 (double-sided) sheets of 8.5×11 paper! Woohoo!
If you’re interested, please download by clicking the image above and give it a try. We’d love to hear what you think!
Nov 7, 2019 – Private Playtesting Facebook Group established
Nov 1, 2019 – Meet at the Inn added to Board Game Geek
Oct 27, 2019 – 2.0 Added the “Chain” keyword, added a Card Anatomy section, clarified Card Resolution, updated some card effect wording.
Oct 26, 2019 – 1.2 Fixed card count in description.
Oct 26, 2019 – 1.1 Updated “Each Turn, #1” for clarity on playing Decrees.
Oct 25, 2019 – 1.0 Initial upload.